About our group:
Seagate's Recording Head Reader Process team has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a summer intern position. We are looking for an energetic and talented intern to work at Seagate R&D site in Bloomington, MN in summer of 2021.
Dimensions of the HDD reading sensor are ever decreasing to meet the areal density requirement. It is important to understand fundamental material properties and interactions in complex manufacturing processes. As a Seagate intern, you will learn how to apply engineering and analytical skills to the real world engineering tasks.
About the role - you will:
* Coordinating execution of experiments, and conducting in-depth data analysis.
* Studies to include phase transformation or effects of annealing temperature and include understanding adjacent layer effects on film properties.
* Additional studies of interaction of processes especially at film interfaces such as ion milling and etch used to define reader structures on the magnetic and structural properties of films utilized.
* Primarily in house tools (for film depositions, structural and magnetic characterizations) will be used for this study.
* Additional opportunities for development automation may be included as a project.
* Candidate should expect to be working in a hybrid model (part time on site at our MNC campus and part time remote) or fully remote during this internship.
* MS or PhD student pursuing a degree in Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Material Science, Chemistry or Physics.
* 3.0 GPA or above.
* A willingness and ability to work in a cleanroom is required.
* Preference would be for candidates with experience with thin film deposition, nanofabrication process, microstructural characterization techniques (XRD, TEM, etc...) but not required.
* In house tools (for film depositions, structural and magnetic characterizations) will be used for this study.
Your experience includes:
* Thin film deposition
* Magnetic measurement techniques
* Structural characterization techniques (XRD, TEM)
Our Normandale campus spans two suburbs, Edina and Bloomington, and serves as the Recording Head development and manufacturing arm of Seagate. Located in the heart of a bustling community, Seagate offers an on-site cafe, or if you prefer, you can drive to one of many restaurants just minutes away. Need to grab a gift over lunch time? Shopping is abundant in the area. If working out is your thing, the on-site fully equipped fitness center hosts wellness programs, outdoor activities, tournaments and group workouts. Looking for something more laid back? Reset in one of our meditation rooms, or simply take a walk around our indoor walking path. On-site cultural festivals, celebrations and community volunteer opportunities also abound.
At Seagate, our mission is to give people peace of mind by protecting their digital lives.
Since 1978, Seagate has been creating precision-engineered data storage technologies that deliver superior capacity, speed, safety, and performance. We help people harness and maximize the datasphere.
Seagate couldn't do any of that without its employees-a diverse workforce of 40,000 creative, hard-working, passionate people all over the world. From the Silicon Valley, the United Kingdom, Singapore, India, Thailand, through China, our people are proud to embody the values of integrity, innovation, and inclusion.
Consider joining them. Open up your world.
Seagate provides an environment where equal opportunity is available to all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (which includes pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, perceived or actual religious creed or political opinion, military and veteran status, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, taking or requesting a reasonable accommodation for a protected basis, or other basis protected by applicable law. Company-sponsored training, education, degree assistance, and social and recreational programs are also included. EEO is the Law Poster, EEO is the Law Supplement Poster, & OFCCP Pay Transparency Provision Information.
For information on how Seagate collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please review the applicant privacy statement.